Get Connected:
Now Playing: Listeners:
YOU ARE HERE: Board index » The Cape Radio: Game Discussions » General Games Planning

It is currently Thu Apr 27, 2017 11:39 pm
Unanswered posts | Active topics

Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 

Post subject: Secret World Legends
PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2017 3:29 pm 

The Secret World is relaunching soon. Secret World Legends is described as a "shared-world RPG", with new combat mechanics, an overhauled progression system, and improved visuals.

Since the Cape has had a presence in the game in the past, I figured some folks might want to keep an eye on this new development. :)

PC Gamer Article:
http://www.pcgamer.com/the-secret-world-to-relaunch-as-free-to-play-secret-world-legends/

Post subject: Re: Secret World Legends
PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 12:14 am 
Cape DJ

Here is the FAQ for Secret World Legends. I would say that it's important to read the whole thing through carefully, as they're really handling this transition weirdly.

Here are some highlights:

The Secret World and Secret World Legends are two separate games. TSW will continue to be a live, playable game once SWL goes live and all your characters and stuff will be available there on the TSW servers after SWL goes live.

SWL is completely free to play with all content, past, present, and future, totally free. There is no pay-to-win; everything in the game can be earned through the game itself.

SWL has a revamped combat system, updated visuals, and newly designed progression systems and quest flow that makes an update from TSW impossible. It is, in many ways, a completely new game.

You will have separate accounts for TSW and SWL. They are linkable so you can transfer your subscription status from one game to the other. If you are a subscriber on TSW, you'll become a Patron on SWL, with similar benefits, from what I can tell. If you are a Grand Master, linking your accounts will make you a Patron in SWL forever.

SWL is only going to be available through Steam at launch, though they will expand accessibility outside of Steam at a future date.

Your characters will not transfer over from TSW to SWL. Everyone starts with a clean slate in SWL. They are offering the ability to reserve one character name on your current TSW account for play on SWL. By default, each account will have one character slot in SWL but additional character slots can be purchased.

They will also be implementing a system to transfer SOME vanity/store items from one game to the other, but that's something they're going to explain in the near future, so not much more information than that right now.

If you have Funcom points in TSW, you will have the option of transferring them to become Aurum in SWL.

Roots of Rock: Thursdays 7-10 pm ET || Mischief Management (with DJ Amethyst): Saturdays 8-11 pm ET
IRC: DJ_Nexus || Gaming Avatars || Facebook/Twitter/Steam/Yahoo: gyronnygeek || Google/Email: gyronnygeek@gmail.com

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 8:13 am 

Thanks clarifying, Nexus. :)

It is a little strange how they're handling this. Maybe they're going to treat TSW like a legacy server or something? I wonder why they would want to fracture the player base between two different versions of the game, though...

Also don't get why they're replacing the Steam version of TSW with Legends instead of having both or whatever. I purchased TSW on Steam, as have a lot of other folks I'm sure. Seems a bit unfair to not be able to access a game you purchased on a specific platform.

Either way, TSW didn't particularly interest me all that much, but I might give Legends a try once the initial rush dies down.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 1:53 pm 
Cape DJ

I had two issues with TSW. One was the arbitrary forced group splits to solo on some missions and the other was the wonky dodge system. I'm curious to see if both are fixed. I'm a fan of urban horror, so the worldscape of TSW is still right up my alley.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 3:56 pm 

I think they're going the Warframe route. Warframe has been successful with a "fully f2p" model, with special incentives for people who actually want to spend money (early/preferred access to new gear, for example).

I played TSW when it came out. I enjoyed the puzzles and the cerebral dimension to the game. I did not like the wonky combat mechanics, the inability to move more than ten feet without being swarmed by trash mobs, the weird boss spawns, and the various glitches, most of which I assume are fixed by now. What sent me away was the devs' insistence that they would never, ever, ever be f2p - which they broke a month later.

That said, I may give the new flavor a try.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 6:46 am 

I'm on the fence. The combat and advancement is what turned me off of Secret World when I played. But I think it's years too late to address that without shafting their playerbase, but if it's falling apart whether they leave it alone or not... well... I guess it might be worth a shot.

It seems like they're taking great pains not to call it a MOBA, but not a MMO either. Not sure how that's going to play out.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2017 3:46 pm 

The main things that turned me off from TSW was how combat had that "I'm hitting a brick wall, not a flesh and blood creature" feeling, no permanent custom chat channels and yes, no way to avoid trash mobs. Also had that issue during shows where interiors of buildings felt a bit cramped. If shows were ever held in SWL, outdoor venues would be better.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2017 4:17 pm 
Cape DJ

Yahoo Messenger: brspheonyx
So... watched the teaser trailer... and saw that the pretty much recycled the origin cutscenes from TSW to promote their "new game", so basically I have seen nothing that gives me any glimmer of the new game whatsoever.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 2:23 am 

I haven't played TSW in a while now. I may give SWL a try to see how it plays.

Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 
9 posts • Page 1 of 1