Get Connected:
Now Playing: Listeners:
YOU ARE HERE: Board index » The Cape Radio: Current Staff » Tahquitz

It is currently Tue Sep 26, 2017 12:59 am
Unanswered posts | Active topics

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 1 post ] 

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2017 5:50 pm 
Cape DJ

So, what is The Midnight Show?

At a default, it's my answer to the question of "what exactly is night music?"

In detail, there are many different types of nights. As many as there are different kinds of days. And The Midnight Show will explore different playlists for different kinds of nights. Some will be full of elation. Some will be contemplative. Some will have longing and desperation. Some will be full of regret. But in any case, music is here to soothe the soul and the Midnight Show will hopefully be that for it's listeners.

As there is no one answer to the above, my intent for the show is that there isn't the feeling that "Tahq's show has ____ music". I'm not really a single-genre listener. I used to listen to Alternative Rock from my teen years until 2010 or so, but there's two things that left me in that genre for so long: 1) I'm interested in creativity without a filter, so I welcome musicians who don't stick to conventions or formality, and 2) I have been now, in the past, and always will be... a sucker for a unique melody I haven't heard before. (Which is why I haven't gravitated to other forms of music that doesn't emphasize melody. No need to name them, it's clear.)

Plus with Alternative Rock, it's clear the genre has changed. The days of filling stadiums from the mojo to the nosebleeds with any new act isn't a certainty anymore, and those who can (Muse, Imagine Dragons, Coldplay) aren't doing so because Alternative Rock is propelling them... they're propelling themselves. (I don't dare mention U2 or Foo Fighters -- they're becoming cross-generational acts, so like The Rolling Stones, if there's an arena, they'll fill it.)

So I've branched out. Looking for good music, no matter what genre it is. And there are some surprises around every corner.

I've taken a look at hip-hop. I haven't given it a serious shot in my teenage years, but now, it's clear to see the same division that happened in rock music back in the 2000's between over-produced music and music that moved the genre forward is getting larger than ever. In the next decade, I see hip-hop getting smaller, with enthusiasts and fans tired of the 'big' acts who are so out of touch, that new acts have no choice but to go out and make it themselves to hear what they want to hear. And it'll find a rebirth like what rock is going through at the moment.

Jazz has some interesting changes happening to it. One of the unique voices I've found is Robert Glasper (who doesn't actually sing, he plays piano), who has adopted an ensemble approach to his acts similar to his inspiration, Miles Davis. His efforts bring prior R&B and Hip-Hop acts to a new audience who otherwise wouldn't have heard them: Bilal, Brandy, Malcolm Jamal Warner, Erykah Badu, Pete Rock, Mos Def, Lupe Fiasco, etc. have all collaborated with him. Even Patrick Stump from Fall Out Boy. This is in addition to new and unsung talent: Casey Benjamin, Chris Dave, Marcus Colenberg... that's the best part of his music.

Because that's how music gets better. Someone brings new energy into it and makes it their own. And the best people to do that is the youth. Todd Glaser's interview with DJ Judge in Spring 2017 hit the nose. When you stop listening to new music, you're done with music altogether. It's that simple.

With three genres of music, I've already written this much. And part of that search is the basis of The Midnight Show.

To put it more specifically, I'm building a rotating grid of playlists. Some genre-specific, some are special for upcoming weekends (Veteran's Day - I'm making a "Battle" playlist. Christmas - There'll be an odd Christmas music playlist that no store or radio station will touch.) As a hint, I have something special planned for February that isn't a Valentine's Day playlist. The genre-specific playlists will rotate seasonally so you shouldn't hear the same theme in three months, although I can't guarantee a song won't repeat as it may fill multiple playlists.

Requests vary by night. Some nights, my playlist will be pretty thin as I'm building my library up, so I'll hold off of requests at the start (as there's a high chance I won't have what you're wanting unless you heard me play it before.) And like Agent Crypto, some weeks, I'll do a themeless show where requests and dedications are absolutely cool. (Those nights I'll aim around pay day, so my Amazon account will be standing by.)

And that's the Midnight Show. To quote David Bowie, "I don't know where I'm going from here, but I promise it won't be boring." :)

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 1 post ] 
1 post • Page 1 of 1